Friday, April 12, 2024

More accusations against Troy convict

| March 26, 2024 7:00 AM

The rap sheet for a Troy man is getting longer after he was accused of assaulting a woman at her home in the Yaak last month.

Joshua Michael Glaese, 40, was recently in the Lincoln County Detention Center following alleged offenses before he posted $25,000 bail on March 11.

Glaese is facing a felony count of assault with a weapon and a misdemeanor count of partner or family member assault following a Feb. 13 incident.

Glaese was scheduled to be arraigned on the new charges on March 25. He is also facing a revocation hearing on April 25. 

Glaese is currently on probation for two convictions in March 2023. One was for a no contest plea to felony criminal endangerment after he attacked his wife and sprayed her with a fire extinguisher in the summer of 2022. The other conviction was for a misdemeanor DUI, third offense, after he drove drunk on Christmas Eve 2022. Court documents indicate Glaese had three DUI convictions in Arizona in 2013.

Glaese received two suspended sentences in the cases from District Judge Matt Cuffe. In the assault case, Glaese received a 5-year suspended sentence. In the DUI case, he was sentenced to one year, with all except 30 days suspended.

According to court documents filed by a trio of county law officers, Glaese’s time on probation has not been spotless.

Lincoln County Probation and Parole officer Steve Watson reported that on July 17, 2023, four months after his sentencing on the 2022 cases, Glaese received a verbal warning for drinking at the Troy Bowling Alley. On Sept. 11, 2023, he was placed on enhanced supervision and a SCRAM bracelet was placed on his ankle due to the alcohol use. 

Then, on Feb. 13, 2024, Glaese was arguing with another woman, a girlfriend, while they drank alcohol. According to county Deputy Derek Breiland, one of three officers who responded to the most recent incident, he spoke to Troy Police Chief Katie Davis. She had talked with the the alleged victim and her parents. The woman said she and Glaese began arguing while they worked together in a bar in Troy. She said Glaese was drinking in the bar and the argument continued after the couple returned home to a Cedars Drive residence.

Deputy Andrew Smith, the second officer who responded to the home, saw that Glaese had a small cut near his left eye. His girlfriend said Glaese got into a fight with a neighbor and got beat up. Smith spoke to Glaese and he denied fighting with the woman. A breath test indicated the defendant had a blood alcohol content of .228, nearly triple the legal limit.

The woman said Glaese grabbed a lamp and struck her in the head. The lamp broke while the woman suffered a cut which resulted in some bleeding. Glaese also allegedly slapped the woman, causing her pain.

She said he threw items out of the house, tore cabinets off the wall and threatened to burn down the house. She said she called 911, but hung up when he confronted her.

Glaese spent 10 days in the county jail for drinking alcohol, which is a violation of his probation. 

According to the charging documents from 2022, county Deputy Ben Fisher responded to a call just past midnight on Christmas Eve of a vehicle stuck in a snow bank near Town Pump in Troy. When Fisher arrived, he spoke to Glaese and could smell alcohol on his person. The officer also wrote in his report that Glaese’s speech was slurred and he had watery eyes.

Fisher said Glaese allegedly refused to give a breath sample after two separate requests. Fisher reported getting a warrant for a blood sample from the defendant, which he did. 

The arrest prompted the Lincoln County Attorney’s Office to file a motion to revoke his release on bond from the assault case. Part of Glaese’s terms of release were that he not use alcohol or drugs. Glaese’s bail is now set at $150,000, according to court documents.

In the original case, Glaese pleaded not guilty on Aug. 29, 2022, to one felony count of assault with a weapon and one misdemeanor count of partner or family member assault, first offense, in Lincoln County District Court.

Glaese wrote a letter to Judge Cuffe on Oct. 12. In part, Glaese said he was homeless, that he never harmed the alleged victim and that, “the truth will come out in court.”

Glaese, who posted $100,000 bail on Aug. 22, also faced a petition to revoke his release. Glaese was accused of leaving the state without permission and for going to his former residence on Oct. 8, which could have been a violation of the order of protection Cuffe issued on Sept. 19. 

According to court documents, Glaese said he went to Florida to live with his sister while he worked on a plan to live in Libby. He also believed his wife had left the home and when law enforcement told him to leave, he did.

Ultimately, Cuffe dismissed the petition to revoke his release on bond.

Part of Glaese’s terms of release include not possessing any weapons and he is also not allowed to have any contact with the alleged victim.

According to the charging documents in the case involving Glaese’s former wife, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office Captain Boyd White met with the alleged victim on the afternoon of Aug. 15, 2022, at the sheriff’s office. The woman said her relationship with Glaese has been very rough. She said Glaese is an alcoholic, he is violent when he drinks, but he drinks every day.

She said the previous day, Aug. 14, was Glaese’s birthday. She said everything was fine until he returned home from drinking at bars in the Yaak with a man named Clayton. She said Clayton lives in their house, but she didn’t know his last name.

The woman also explained that the residence consists of an unfinished house and a camper trailer. She said she stayed in the camper with her young daughter. She also said during their 10-year relationship, he has been emotionally abusive, according to court documents.

She said when he returned to the property at 2 a.m. on Aug. 15, he entered the camper, turned on the lights and began yelling at her. She said she went outside, put on a submissive front in an effort to deescalate Glaese and get him away from their daughter. She said after they argued, he allegedly stomped on her foot and hit her in the back of the head.

The woman said she ran to the camper and fought with Glaese to get the door closed while he allegedly tried to grab her and drag her out. She said she considered calling 911 but decided it would be safer to not call and work to deescalate the situation after he allegedly made a comment to the affect of “Find out what happens if you call the police.”

She also said Glaese had begun to threaten to shoot her on a weekly basis. During the incident, she said she heard him outside say something like “Come outside and see what I got for you,” and then she heard a gunshot. She said she heard two more gunshots over the next five minutes. She also said she recorded portions of the incident. The alleged victim also told White that Glaese has repeatedly threatened to kill her.

She described his gun as a “Cowboy 6 shooter” and that he had accidentally shot himself awhile back and she believed it was the same gun.

She also said Glaese recently sprayed her with a fire extinguisher when she tried to enter the house. She also said a few days after that incident, she was sitting on a couch in the house when he turned it over. When the couch landed on the extinguisher it sprayed the rest of the chemical inside the residence.

The alleged victim also told White that a few years ago he allegedly unloaded the gun in front of her, pointed it at her and pulled the trigger multiple times.

White wrote in his report that the woman was emotional and cried at times while describing the events from the morning of Aug. 15. She said she was in fear for her life and the life of her child.