Monday, April 22, 2024

Lincoln County woman charged with embezzlement

The Western News | June 14, 2022 7:00 AM

A Lincoln County woman is accused of stealing thousands of dollars from her employer.

Emily Lynn Carvey, 21, entered a not guilty plea to one felony count of theft by embezzlement on June 6 in the Montana 19th Judicial District Court.

Carvey is accused of stealing more than $7,500 from a coffee shop where she worked at in Eureka.

According to court documents, the owners of the business reported the missing money to Eureka Police Officer Grigori Neils. They said the money was taken in a five-month period between Dec. 31, 2021, to April 20, 2022. The business owners said they had video footage of Carvey allegedly taking money from the till.

One of the owners said the deposit totals didn’t match with what should have been in the till. The other owner reviewed video footage and mentioned one specific instance when Carvey allegedly removed several $20 bills from the till and placed some of them in her tip pile.

Officer Neils asked the owners if Carvey knew there was a surveillance camera in the business and they said at one point the defendant allegedly looked at and pointed at the camera.

One of the owners of the coffee shop said Carvey was related to her and it was one of the reasons she was hired for the job.

The owners said they confronted Carvey about the alleged thefts and the accused allegedly texted them “I will pay it all back, I was stupid and I didn’t realize what I was doing! I am so sorry!”

The owners sent the messages to Officer Neils after he asked for them.

Then, on April 28, Officer Neils spoke with Carvey and she allegedly said she planned on paying the money back to the business owners. According to court documents, Carvey said she took the money because of hardships in her life, which included mechanical work on an engine and more than $10,000 in medical bills.

Carvey’s next court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 17. Conviction for the offense could result in a maximum term of 10 years in the Montana State Prison.