Homeowner treated and released after house fire
Despite the fire taking place in the middle of the day, Libby Volunteer Fire Department had a full crew on scene and dealing with a cooking fire that filled a home on Nevada Avenue with smoke Friday. (Rima Austin/The Western News)
A house on Nevada Avenue in Libby was filled with smoke by a cooking fire, and the resident had to be treated for smoke inhalation Friday. (Rima Austin/The Western News)
| January 29, 2019 3:00 AM
Firefighters were called to the scene of a fire Friday at 414 Nevada Avenue in Libby.
At approximately 2:30 p.m. the occupant of the house, Bob Morozzo, called 911 to report a house fire that started in his kitchen. Morozzo was treated on the scene for minor burns and smoke inhalation, but was not transported to the hospital.
According to Libby Volunteer Fire Department Fire Marshall, Steve Lauer, the fire started in the kitchen due to unattended food cooking on the stovetop. Lauer said scenes like this are preventable.
“It is important to attend food cooking at all times and don’t get distracted,” said Lauer. “When you’re cooking, you’re cooking.”
Lauer went on to say there were no smoke detectors in the home. He would like to remind the public that the LVFD offer free smoke detectors to homeowners who do not have any or who cannot afford them. The department comes out and installs them free of charge as well.
“I want to say though, if you are a landlord you are required by law to have smoke detectors in the home. Sometimes I get renters who call and ask for the detectors, and the landlord is required to have them in all rental homes,” said Lauer. “I don’t want to help them get out of their obligations. I have seen this happen before.”
All three fire chiefs were on the scene within one minute, and according to Lauer, the first fire truck was there within three minutes.
The crew spent one hour on the scene and damages to the property are estimated to be approximately $30,000. When asked about the response time of his crew, Lauer said it is always pretty good with his department.
”It’s a normal response time with us,” said Lauer.