Schools spending $170,00 on building maintenance
By GWEN ALBERS Western News Reporter
Libby Public Schools board of trustees learned about $170,000 being spent this summer to spruce up buildings and grounds.
Projects will include expanding the front walkway for bleachers in the high school football stadium; blacktopping and chip sealing the playground at Asa Wood Elementary School and rear parking lot at the high school; and repairing potholes at Plummer School.
Other projects include replacing carpet in the middle and high school libraries, installing underground sprinkler systems at the middle and high schools, and replacing the middle school gym roof.
During their Monday meeting, the school board also voted to increase substitute teachers' pay to $60 a day from $55.
Superintendent Kirby Maki in May asked trustees to consider increasing the pay for substitute teachers, who make $1 less a day than substitute custodians.
Most Montana schools pay $60 to $120 a day for substitute teachers.
Substitutes in Libby do not need to be certified teachers or have college degrees. They only need to be of good character and pass a criminal background check. Some college experience or a two-year degree is preferred.
The board also:
* Accepted a resignation from high school art teacher Joan Kallay. Hired one year ago, Kallay next year will teach at Columbia Falls. The school plans to hire a replacement.
* Approved contracts for Al Matsushita for speech; Leah Lemoine, special education; and Connie Welter and Vicki Randall, elementary and middle school coordinators for Community Learning Center Grant, an after-school tutoring and enrichment program.
* Approved contracts for summer school staff Jasper Howell, Michelle Foss, Jon England, David Pickering, Kathy Foss, Mandi Rose, Bgee Zimmerman, Jolene Huntsberger, Deanna Bryer, Carnan Davis, Tracy Graham, Michelle Harmon, Kathy Powers and Leslie
Crooks; and summer school enrichment activities worker Barb Jungst, Margie Kratofil, Renee Rose and Brenda Nagode.
* Hired Bill Marshall as an education assistant, Yvonne Little for maintenance, Corrine Wright and Jonathan Graham as custodial aides, Nora Berry and Tyrena Drury as food service coordinator and food service worker, respectively, for Asa Wood Elementary School; and Candice Steele, Kathy Sauby and Jeremy Brothers as educational assistants.
* Agreed to contribute $50 more a month, for a total of $415 a month, to union employees' health insurance. It will cost the district an additional $90,000. Benefiting will be teachers with Libby Area Education Association, custodians and maintenance workers with AFSCME, office staff with Libby Association of Education Office Personnel and cafeteria works with Libby Lunch Bunch Association.