Thursday, May 23, 2024

Dick Dermond

| January 25, 2005 11:00 PM

Richard Lee (Dick) Dermond, 84, died Jan. 19, 2005, at his home in Libby.

He was born on Feb. 9, 1920, at Eckley, Colo., to Donald and Edna Watters Dermond and was raised and educated at Onalaska, Wash.

Dick enlisted in the U.S. Navy when he was 17 and served four years as a ship┬╣s carpenter.

Following his honorable discharge from the Navy, Dick remained a civilian for a short time before enlisting in the U.S. Coast Guard following the December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

He served with the Coast Guard during World War II along the northern Pacific Coast near Alaska.

Following his honorable discharge at the end of the war, Dick became a civilian employee of the U.S. Navy, serving as a carpenter and shipwright aboard many naval vessels including the USS Langley, the forerunner of the modern aircraft carrier.

He married Fern Tisher Fuller at Centralia, Wash. in 1972.

Their marriage was later solemnized at the Seattle Temple.

Dick worked in the maintenance department of the Washington State Highway Patrol at Olympia for five years before retiring.

He and his wife were seasonal Libby residents until moving here permanently three years ago.

Survivors include his wife Fern, Libby; sons Richard Lee (Rick) Dermond, Jr., Sequim, Wash., Michael Ray (Mike) Dermond and his wife Norma, Lynnwood, Wash.; step-children William Fuller and his wife Carol, Centralia, Wash., Norman (Rick) Fuller and his wife Janene, Orem, Utah, Wendy Fuller Christensen and her husband Joe, Snohomish, Wash., Wyonne Fuller Perrault and her husband Joe, Darrington, Wash., Tracy Joe Fuller and his wife Pam, Boise, Idaho, Terrell (Terry) Fuller and his wife Teresa, Olympia, Wash., and Jared Fuller, Spokane, 31 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

Dick was preceded in death by his parents and a brother.

Services were conducted at 2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Libby.

Interment with military honors followed at the City of Libby Cemetery.

Visitation was from 4-8 p.m. on Monday at the Nelson & Vial Funeral Home Chapel and from noon until service time Tuesday in the Relief Society Room at the LDS Church.

Arrangements were under direction of the Nelson & Vial Funeral Home.