The Libby Volunteer Fire Department responded to a house fire on Woodland Heights Road, west of Pioneer Junction, on Dec. 20.
LVFD Fire Investigator Jason Place said that no one was injured in the fire, and firefighters were able to get the fire out before the home was lost.
“The house had some significant damage that went through the attic, and of course you're going to have smoke and water damage as well,” Place said. “It could definitely be remodeled and brought back to living conditions.”
Smoke could be seen billowing from Highway 2, but the route to reach the residence was not immediately apparent.
However, area residents helped to guide first responders to the scene, Place said.
Place said that people from the community were very helpful, not only in pointing responding fire apparatus to the residence, but in staying clear of the roads and allowing firefighters to do their jobs.
“We thank everybody that helped with getting us to the fire quickly,” he said.
The rapid response and their training paid off, Place said. Though the fire had worked into the attic, firefighters were able to get it out before it spread further into the home.
The fire started from a heat lamp in a doghouse, Place said. There was no apparent fault in the heat lamp itself.
However, the lamp created a fire in the doghouse, which spread to the porch and then into the attic of the home.
By the time LVFD reached the residence, the fire was already into the attic.
As to how firefighters were able to to prevent a fire already so far progressed from claiming the entire home, Place credited their preparation and dedication.
“We just have good crews, and everybody puts that little extra effort when they know it's a structure fire,” he said.
In addition to being well-trained, the firefighters are also well-motivated when they know someone could lose their home and irreplaceable possessions.
“Our people in our community, they need us to act quickly, and our training pays off for that,” Place said.